Wednesday 13 January 2010

Date 17


"Because the music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life."


My last meet in 2007 and initially things looked good.

The first date went well and we had a good laugh sharing a few drinks. We had a second date a few days later and a strange thing happened outside an Italian restaurant we were eating at. We both went outside for a smoke and she grabbed me and kissed me (my first Soulmates kiss!). Things were most definitely looking up...that is until the third date.

We met for a drink quite late on a Friday evening and I sensed something was up. As we were leaving she said she just wanted to be friends because I wasn't as well travelled as she was and she felt she couldn't talk to me about the different places she'd visited as I hadn't been to them. I was quite disappointed, and even though I perhaps wasn't that into her; rejection still hurts. The next day I felt rubbish when I woke up and to compound things further I received a phone-call that morning to say my Grandfather (whom I was extremely close to) had died a couple of hours earlier. I wasn't in a great mood that weekend, but luckily I was working the Saturday and Sunday so it took my mind off things.

After mulling over things for a day or so I actually was very impressed that she was honest with me, and in retrospect she was absolutely right so I completely respect her for making that decision.

Things then took another twist as we decided to stay friends and we met up the following week. After getting absolutely hammered I ended up going back to hers and staying the night (I know, I'm such a slut). I think seeing her again made me realise that things wouldn't have worked between us as she wouldn't stop going on at me that I should grow out of my immature stage of being obsessed with music and films. These are two interests I have that are very close to my heart and I don't see liking them as being a sign of immaturity. Waking up in her bed to Magic FM playing it's rotation of easy listening shite the next morning compounded my beliefs that she'd made the right decision to jettison me.

We hooked up a couple of times after that, then she went back-packing for a while and I never heard from her again. It was fun while it lasted but ultimately we really weren't right for each other and it came to a natural conclusion.

As a footnote to this, before I met her, she'd been on TV in a few quiz shows and had got down to the last 20 contestants for The Apprentice (thus meaning she sadly didn't get to criticise Baron Sugar of Clapton's music tastes in the boardroom), which is quite an impressive feat. And a year or so after we'd gone our separate ways, she appeared on Countdown several times, therefore, making her the first and last last celeb to go out with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment