Thursday 10 February 2011

Date 49


"Miserable Lie."


Having decided to take a break from the crazy world of internet dating, I didn't go on any dates for about 6 months. That was until Match.com reeled me in with a one week free trial, which I tentatively accepted out of curiosity. After the week was up I was sent another offer by them in which I was given 2 months for the price of one, and, because I'd been getting quite a lot of interest from other members, I decided to take them up on that deal as well.

My first Match.com date (and incidentally my first date of 2010) seemed very keen to meet me from the off and gave me her mobile number after a couple of messages. I thought this was a bit quick so stalled a bit until a few more messages then she asked if she could ring me for a chat. So, after speaking to her on the phone and getting a good first impression, she asked if I'd like to meet up, which I agreed to.

She was about 4 or 5 years older than me and very quirky. Her appearance was very bohemian and a bit hippyish and she had an absolutely bizarre hairstyle, which I can only describe as containing a woollen type thing knitted into her hair! She was very striking in appearance and had a very unconventional, yet classic dress sense, but I have to say that I gauged some disappointment in her eyes when she saw me.

In the first bar we went to, we were just about to sit down to have a drink when someone called her name from across the bar. It was a friend of hers and he came over with another woman and asked her what she was doing there. She said she was on a date and his face lit up: "Ah, me too! Guardian Soulmates?" "No," she replied: "Match!" He then informed us that it was apparently the most popular bar in London for first dates!

For the rest of the night, and from my point of view anyway, we got on really well. She was very witty and outgoing and I have to say that I enjoyed her company a lot and was attracted to her. After drinking solidly for about six hours we then went back to the station and before I could say anything, she told me that she really wanted to see me again. I concurred with her view and told her I'd be in touch.

So, I texted her a day or so later to ask about a second date and she responded in the affirmative, but said she was busy for the next week or so, so she'd call me to make arrangements. I didn't hear anything back from her so contacted her again a week or so later and heard nothing. A few weeks later I thought I'd try her one last time and she replied saying she'd had some bad news and wasn't dating anymore, so I left it. Seeing as though she appeared to still be regularly signing in to the site, the cynical side of me led me to conclude that this excuse was bullshit, which was a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment